This makes for a lovely spring time light lunch or afternoon snack, you could also add a side salad of chicory and spinach leaves or a celeriac remoulade!
- 2 fresh sardines, butterflied
- 2 slices of fresh granary bloomer or similar (tiger bread also works well!)
- 50ml olive oil
- 2 plum tomotoes
- 50g fresh basil
- 20g capers
- 20ml balsamic vinegar
1) Heat a grill pan or frying pan on the stove
2) Finely dice the tomatoes, place in a bowl with the roughly chopped capers and add the balsamic vinegar and 40ml of the oil. Stir with some freshly cracked pepper, then put to one side.
3) Brush the sardines with the remaining oil and place on the grill flesh side down for 2-3 minutes before turning over for a further 2-3 mins.
4) Lightly toast the bread and place on a serving plate, put the cooked sardines on top then spoon over the tomato and caper salsa, finish with some freshly torn basil leaves.