For the cake
- 250g chopped dates
- 250g water
- 5g bicarbonate of soda
- 250g stork
- 250g dark brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 350g self raising flour
- 250g (2 large) very ripe bananas
For the Sauce
- 55g butter
- 125g dark brown sugar
- 140g golden syrup
- 100g cream
- Place the dates and water in a pan and bring to the boil, remove from heat and add the bicarbonate, stir well and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar
- Slowly add the eggs and beat, then fold in the flour.
- Add the dates and banana and give a quick mix, keeping the banana fairly chunky.
- Pour into a 9" round tin and bake. While baking, make the sauce.
- Place all the ingredients in a pan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and stir occasionally until golden brown and thickened.
When the cake is cooked, allow to cool for 15 minutes then pour the sauce over.
Cooking temperature: 150 Degrees
Cooking Time: 1hr 30min